Thursday, October 21, 2010

I May Shoot Myself in the Foot but, At Least I'm Consistent.

So... This past week in my "Social Media Life" I received a DM (direct message) from a follower who gave me an ultimatum. I was surprised that some one would have the gumption regardless of what their professional capacity is to give me an ultimatum based on my social media use and preference.
I was shocked and incredibly dismayed that this "follower", happens to dislike one of the third party location based applications that I use and occasionally use to update my twitter account.
Anyhow, this "follower" sends me a DM which I mistook for someone looking to have a conversation about said third party application. Man was I wrong. Thankfully it did not get too ugly, but I made sure that person was aware that I am not accustomed to ultimatums in my personal or professional life. Furthermore if the the ultimatum was either stop using the third party app or loose them as a follower, I'm sure you know what decision I made.
I don't even use that application all that much, but it was more about the principle than the application.
The best part of this story is that the "follower" who tweeted with me through DM, and subsequently blocked is quite well known and works in the PR field (So I guess that means they have a right to dictate what I can and cannot use on mobile devices that I bought and paid for, on an account that I have maintained... WRONG).
Way to stick to your guns while shooting your self in the foot.
Do I regret my decision? No I don't.
It's called being true to one's self ILR (in real life) and ISM(in social media) I would never put up with an ultimatum IRL so why would I put up with them in ISM.
So there you have it. I shot my self in the foot, but at least I'm consistent.

No comments:

Post a Comment